Monday, September 26, 2005

A Broken English Lesson

After reading one of Mega Brad’s post and speaking with a coworker this morning, I realized that I had a knack at understanding broken English. I think it had to do with the foreign language that I took when I was in high school. My high school offered Japanese as a choice for a foreign language. The best thing about the class was listening to a little Japanese lady speak about her weekend trips using crazy sounding English. It took me two years to be able to halfway understand her English, but learning broken English has been a useful tool. In the Japanese language there is only one letter that doesn’t end a vowel. That letter is “n”. They are also lacking quite a few consonants and consonant groupings that we have in English; for instance “L” and “TH”. They make do by using other sounds to give the effect of saying those letters and consonant groupings by using “R” for “L” and “SHI” for “TH”. I’ll give you a short story as I heard it in Japanese class from my teacher.

(Rules to read story: A sounds like A from “ball”, I sounds like I in “sheik”, U sounds like U in “Peru”, E sound like E from “heh”, O sounds like O in “Joe”. If you don’t pronounce it like this I’m sure it gets even more crapped up. Note: She married into her last name which really just made it funnier. Her first name was Taeko and last name Horowitz)

Horowitz Sensei: Resen kurasu, Ai hafu somushin tu teru yu. Tisu wikendu Ai wentu Ataranta. Mi an chideren wentu sekusu furagasu.

DPT: Did you go on the “rora” coaster, Horowitz sensei?

Horowitz Sensei: No, Ai dontu rike te rora kosuta.

DPT: Did you go anywhere else in “Ataranta”?

Horowitz Sensei: Hai. Wi wentu koka kora fakutori.

DPT: Oh the CocaCola head quarters?

Horowitz Sensei: Hai. An te undaguranda en Ataranta. Taetu wasu te rasetu chingu wi du.

I’m so glad I spent two years in learning a foreign language that I would never use. I had to stop the story there ‘cause I was getting a headache just from writing it. Can anyone figure out what Horowitz Sensei was saying?

10 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

Sure, but only 'cause you gave us a cheat sheet. Another DPT lesson to put away for furture use.

Am I first? nahhh

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Steve said...

Ratu wasu freakinu harariousu!!

I think!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Anna said...

Yes, and the underground in Atlanta....blah, blah, blah...

What little Japanese I learned was from watching Shogun! Oh, and counting to 10 from when I was in 4th grade!

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"why does it have to be sushi?"

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Fitch said...

I had a Korean Calculus teacher that referred to a highway many people call "The Blue Route" as "Da Brew Rue." I had a whole list of things he said, but I don't have it any more.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Heh.
Engrish...

Check it out...

http://www.engrish.com/

No, it is not misspelled.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Insolublog said...

I got hung up on 'six flags' for a few seconds. If you want a real headache, write out Horowitz Sensei's attempt at
speaking in Ebonics.

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger PoP said...

Had a house boy in Korea who learned english from some one from south Texas. I couldn't finish a coversation with him from laughing so hard.

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous MEGABRAD said...

Rora coaster!!!! Weeeeee!!!!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger SeanS said...

I love my koka kora. Yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home